Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Weekend


"Weekends are for sleeping... and being lazy," young Anna replied after I quizzed her on what I should do over the weekend. If there is one thing that Koyuk does very well, it is keeping the Sabbath... both Saturday and Sunday. I woke up this morning at 9am and drank my coffee outside. The sound of the village was silent, besides the chirping of a variety of birds. It was already quite warm, as it has been for the past couple of days, and if I closed my eyes, it was almost like sitting on the porch in Phoenix-- at Grandma and Grandpa's place, listening to the birds-- minus the sweet citrus smell. After breakfast I decided to go on a walk on the dirt road that runs out of the village for a couple miles. As I walked through the village I was in awe of how quiet it was. No four-wheeler engines ripping up and down the dirt roads, no voices of children, no bikes-- just the wind and the birds.



On my way back from my walk, the village was just as silent. Anna was not joking when she said Saturday was for sleeping-- I'm pretty sure everyone still was when I was walking at 11. Besides sleeping in, I'm totally going to embrace the Sabbath this weekend and do absolutely nothing. Maybe a little reading, sitting on the beach, or skyping with friends, but whatever it is, I will have no pressing agenda.

So excuse me, I have some sun to soak up-- gotta get my base layer Alaska tan started.
Fishing net photo from my walk this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment